ADAMS, Judge Pollard
Source Unknown, March 1970


Presiding Judge Pollard Adams of the Shelby County Court, 71 years old, former mayor of Shelbina, died Sunday morning at 1:30 in a Kansas City, Kans., hospital some six weeks after having suffered a stroke in his home. Judge and Mrs. Adams had built a new home in Shelbina and had lived in it only three weeks before he suffered the stroke. He was taken to Kansas City to a hospital to be near his daughter, Mrs. Betty Ann Gray, and never showed any improvement.

Pollard Adams was born on a farm near Shelbina November 20, 1898, the son of John William and Nellie Kern Adams. He attended Shelbina High School. His first public office was that of City Clerk of Shelbina, a position he filled from October 1939 to April 1946. In April 1946 he began his first term as Mayor of Shelbina and was later re-elected, holding the office year after year until 1954. Then in 1955 without filing for the office, he was elected by write-in vote and served until September of that year when he resigned to take an executive position in Jefferson City with a big manufacturing company. 

Much of his life was spent as a partner with his brother, George, in the dry cleaning business.

One of the interesting stories of his life was told to the writer by the late Rev. Glenn Irons, who learned Mr. Adams had wanted to join the Methodist Church as a young man. His parents thought he was too young, so he not only did not go into the church, but did not attend any church. Learning this, Rev. Irons prevailed upon him to make a confession of faith and he was baptized into the Baptist Church. Later, when Rev. Irons died, Mr. Adams went back to the church his wife belonged to, as did his parents, and he became a member of the Shelbina Methodist Church, and seldom missed a service.

In 1966 Mr. Adams decided he wanted to be the Presiding Judge of the Shelby County Court, and and was successful in the election. His term would not have expired until next January 1. He had filed for re-election.

On January 15, 1924, he was married to Pauline B. Nolin, who survives. Also surviving are a daughter, Mrs. Betty Gray of Kansas City; two brothers, George Adams of Shelbina and Dr. Dean Adams of Webster Groves; three grandchildren and two great grandchildren.

Final services were held Tuesday afternoon at the United Methodist Church, conducted by Rev. Edward Watkins. Interment was in the West Lawn addition to the Shelbina Cemetery. Casket bearers were Dick Bunch, William N. Clapper, W. A. Bagley, Otis Buckman, William F. Wear, R. G. Clapper, Billie P. Wilt and Jerry Rash. Honorary pall bearers were S. S. Barkelew, Judge Cecil Meyers, Ray Bedwell, Orville Low, Emmett Hanger, Bennie Wright, Harry Wailes and J. M. Buckman. 

Hayes Funeral Home was in charge of arrangements.


The family of Judge Pollard Adams expresses its most sincere thanks to all the community for the innumerable expressions of sympathy, both material and spoken.

His loss to the family is tragic and you good people have convinced us you, too, will miss him.

Pauline, Betty Ann and family, George and Dean

(Note: Pollard Adams was a student at Shelbina High School in 1917 and 1918 when my grandfather, Harold Dailey, attended. Mr. Adams also worked with my grandfather while he was a newspaper reporter in Shelbina during the 1920s.)

Graciously shared by Mary Ann Schie (ggrandaughter of Mary 
Alda(Cheuvront) Lorentz.  Source unknown

On the morning of July 18, 1894, at the home of her son M. L. Cheuvront in 
Shelbyville, MO, just before six o'clock, while the glorious orb of day in 
majestic splendor was rising in the oriental sky, the sun of our aged sister 
was slowly sinking in the west, and went down beneath life's western horizon, 
and her long live of more than three score and to years was ended. The 
spirit of Mary E. Cheuvront left its tabernacle of clay and was born away by 
heaven's messengers to its eternal home in the paradise of God, to forever 
bask in the sunlight of a Redeemer's love.

Mary E. Cheuvront was born in Fanguire County, VA, Apr. 18, 1824, moved 
with her parents to Lewis County in West Va., when she was about 12 years old. 
Was married to James M. Cheuvront on Dec. 24, 1848. Four sons were born as 
the fruits of this marriage, Gideon P., Martial L., George A, and James I., 
the three first-named being the eldest, were born in West Virginia, the last 
named was born in Shelby County, MO. Two of these sons, George A, and Gideon 
P. crossed the river of death before her, Dr. G. P. Cheuvront only preceding 
15 months and 10 days. He was taken away in the prime of life in the midst 
of vigorous manhood, leaving his aged and afflicted mother to mourn this 
great loss. Well do we remember her expression of her wish, "that it might 
have been her, who was then waiting at the dark water's edge, instead of him 
in the midst of his usefulness. That the Lord had taken her and left him 
with his family.

Sister Cheuvront in company with her husband, family and other relatives 
came to MO in (torn). . . was completed through Shelby county. They made 
this long and tiresome journey from West Va., to Mo., in wagons and buggies, 
her and her mother coming through in a buggy. She and her husband settled in 
northern Shelby county on a farm, about one and one-half miles southeast of 
the present site of Leonard, back in the early days when the ox-team and log 
cabin were luxuries of pioneer life. She with her husband have struggled 
through and borne the hardships and inconveniences of the settlers of an 
early day where our modern church and school privileges were not enjoyed. 
When young she united with the Methodist church, joining the Christian church 
in in August 1873, during a protracted meeting held by Bro. E. C. Browning. 
She lived a consistent, faithful patient christian life. She was kind 
hearted and jovial in her nature, entertaining and happifying those around 
her. She was afflicted with corpulency and a tumor in her later years that 
almost rendered her helpless, yet she waited patiently and cheerfully for the 
Master to call her home. When the summons came she was ready to go, she was 
seventy years and three months old. The (torn) cause of her death was a 
bowel trouble. . . .

COX, Harvey
Date/Source Unknown

Harvey Cox died in his home north of Holliday on Wednesday of last week of consumption. He was 20 years old and was highly respected by the people of his community. Although the dread disease had been fastened upon him for several months he was never confined to his bed until the day of this death.

DOUGLAS, Fannie M.
In Memoriam.....Fannie M. (McAfee) DOUGLAS.

Twenty-nine years ago, there came to Corsicana, a family of Missourians named McAFEE. They had lived a short time in Ellis, then in Dallas County, and now came to make Corsicana their home. The family consisted of five persons--the husband, D. M. [Douglas McMurray McAFEE], the wife Mrs. Lucy E. (nee HAWKINS), and the three children, Fannie, Charley and Allie.  Soon after their arrival they reported for duty at the Methodist Church, handing in their certificates. Fannie had been but recently converted and had joined the Church at Whiterock Camp-grounds in Dallas County. She was born in Shelby County, Missouri September 6, 1857 and at the time she joined the Corsicana Church, she was about 13 years old. Here she grew to womanhood and on September 5, 1876 she was happily married to James H. DOUGLAS. She was then exactly 19 years old.  On the 26th of January, 1901 she passed away from earth. The following day one of the largest funeral processions ever seen in Corsicana, followed the casket to its resting place. Her husband and twelve children survive her. One, only a week old. Seven of these children are boys, five, girls. All except the two youngest have been received into the Church. These simple statements tell much, but they do not complete the story.  Those who visited her home and found it a model of neatness and order and her children models of politeness and proprietary said; "What a mother she must be."  When every Sunday morning, her husband was seen promptly at the opening of the Sunday School, with the children who were old enough, well dressed, well behaved, and lessons all learned, many said; "How can Fannie DOUGLAS accomplish so much?" When the hour of public worship came, and she walked up the aisle and took the seat beside the group, looking cheerful and happy, (no artificial smiles) involuntarily we said; "Fannie DOUGLAS is a great woman."  Now that she has passed through the gates of immortality, our hearts believe that among the sacramental hosts in heaven, there are none holier or happier than she. The motherless ones, and the husband and father, almost comfortless, linger here; but here, with an everlasting band of kindred saints at God's right hand, the noble wife, the godly Mother, the saintly Christian, rests. She belonged to no clubs. She wrote no books, but she has left volumes of heart-written literature, which, like the epistles of the beloved Disciple, are an everlasting repetition of the new Commandment, Love.

Horace Bishop [DOUGLAS]
submitted by James H. Douglas (Michigan) - JimRedWing((a))

FIFER, Eliza Blanche
Date/Source Unknown

Mrs. Eliza Blanche Fifer, 88, died at 12:05 p.m. yesterday in Whitaker Hospital, where she had been a patient three months. Before going to the hospital Mrs. Fifer was at the New Haven Rest Home four years and the Stone Boarding Home three years.

Born in Randolph County, Mrs. Fifer lived most of her life in the Levicks Mill and Maud communities.

Surviving are three sons, Oscar, Cairo; Joe, Letner, and Stanley, Shelbina; two daughters, Mrs. Josephine Branstetter, Madison, and Mrs. Elnora Thomas, Pomona, Calif.; one sister, Mrs. John Dean, Moberly; 26 children, several great - grandchildren, nieces and nephews.

Her husband, James N. and four sisters preceded her in death.

The body is at the Davis Funeral Home in Shelbina. Funeral arrangements are pending.


GOUGH, Mollie Pearl
Source Unknown, September 25, 1969


Services for Mrs. Mollie Pearl Gough, 68, of Shelbina were conducted Monday at St. Mary's Catholic Church with the Rev. Father Leo Buhman officiating and burial was in St. Mary's Cemetery. Davis Funeral Home was in charge of arrangements.

Mrs. Gough died Thursday at 8:30 am at her home. She had been bedfast since January.

She was born August 30, 1901 in Monroe County, a daughter of the late Jefferson and Louise Wilt Hogsett. Mrs. Gough attended Shelbina schools and was a member of St. Mary's Catholic Church, the Altar Society, the Legion Auxiliary and the Sunny Hour Garden Club. She had been a bookkeeper for a local hardware store a number of years and was a part-time employee at the County Clerk's office in Shelbyville. She and her husband owned and operated the Gough Grocery Store until retirement a few years ago.

On Oct. 16, 1920, she was married to Glenn Gough, who survives with three sons, Col. Wm G. Gough of the U.S. Air Force in Austin, Texas, Robert L. Gough of Baton Rouge, La. and Joe B. Gough of Indianapolis, Ind.; eight grandchildren; one great grandchild; an aunt and other relatives.

Her parents, two brothers and a sister preceded her in death.

Casket bearers were James M. Gough, Ben Gregory, Bob Gregory, LeRoy Wright, Walter L. Lucas, and James Dye.

(Note: Mrs. Mollie Pearl Hogsett Gough was a fellow classmate of my grandfather, Harold Dailey, at Shelbina High School. Lisa Perry)


GROSS, John Thomas
Date/Source Unknown


Higbee - John Thomas Grose, brother-in-law of Mrs. Frances Grose, died Wednesday. His home was in O'Fallon. He is survived by his wife, a first cousin of Mrs. Frances Grose, and two sons.

Mr. Grose had visited in Higbee often and was well known in this vicinity. Mrs. Frances Grose accompanied Mr. and Mrs. Carl Davis to the funeral which was held in Bopp Funeral Chapel, Kirkwood.


Date/Source Unknown


Funeral services were held Tuesday afternoon at the Hayes Funeral Home for Frank P. Holdsworth, 68, of Shelbina. Rev. Donald Rooks officiated and burial was in the Shelbina cemetery. Mr. Holdsworth passed away Jan. 5 in St. Elizabeth Hospital in Hannibal after having been a patient there since Dec. 17.

He was born March 14, 1894, the son of Robert and Sarah Ann Rubison Holdsworth. He was the youngest of a family of five children. Hr. Holdsworth spent his entire life in Shelbina. For several years he was employed as clerk in the Freight Depot and at various times had operated the Shelbina Pool Hall. He also was associated with his brother in the manufacture of brooms at their home.

He was a member of the Methodist Church. Preceding him in death were his parents, two sister, Nellie and Mrs. Grace Thrasher, and one brother, Max.

Survivors include a brother, Harry, of the home, and several cousins. 

KELLER, Carl - [click here]
Submitted by Robert Harrison - rharrison003((a))


KING, Lloyd W.
Source Unknown, February 4, 1970


Palmyra, Mo. - Funeral services for Lloyd W. King will be held Thursday at the United Methodist Church at Palmyra at 2 p.m. Rev. Sylvan L. Nussbaum, pastor of the church, will officiate, assisted by Rev. William Roy Foster, of St. Louis, a former pastor of the church. Burial will be in Greenwood Cemetery at Palmyra.

Mr. King, a former Missouri Superintendent of Schools, died at Levering Hospital, Hannibal, at 12:10 p.m. yesterday following a brief illness. He had been admitted to the hospital but a few hours before.

He was born June 19, 1892, in Marion County, a son of John W. and Katherine VanLandingham King. He was a great-great grandson of Benjamin VanLandingham the first person to settle on the site of the city of Palmyra in 1818.

Mr. King was married November 6, 1919, to Adaline Miles of Shelbina, who survives. They celebrated their Golden Anniversary last November. 

Other survivors include one daughter, Mrs. J. Warren Head of Palmyra, two grandsons, Wallace Head, a sophomore at Westminster College, Fulton, and John Head, a junior in Palmyra R-I High School; and a sister, Mrs. Lutie Boyd Poore, a teacher in the Monroe City R-I schools.

Mr. King attended Palmyra public schools and the Centenary Academy at Palmyra in his youth. He was awarded a B.A. Degree from William Jewell College, Liberty; and the M.A. degree in Secondary Administration at the University of Missouri-Columbia. 

In his early years in the field of education he was a teacher in the Palmyra Public School system; a principal at Memphis and Shelbina High Schools and served as superintendent of the Monroe City public schools from 1921 to 1935.

While at Monroe City he built a new high school building there and started the first invitational basketball tournament, the first in Missouri; served on the Board of Control of the Missouri Athletic Association; was president of the Missouri State High School Athletic Association, was first president of the Northeast Missouri Schoolmaster Club, president of Northeast Missouri Teachers' Association and as secretary of the Northeast Missouri Activities Association. He was an instructor at Culver-Stockton College, Canton, during several summer sessions.

(Note: L. W. King was the science teacher and principal of Shelbina High School in 1918, when my grandfather, Harold Dailey, graduated. Mr. King also coached the school's football team and supervised both the debating team and the seed corn testers group. Lisa Perry) 

In 1934 he was elected as State Superintendent of Schools, and was re-elected in 1938, a position he held from 1935 through 1943.

During his tenure in office he reorganized the curriculum of Missouri's secondary schools with emphasis on practical arts. Also, during this time, courses of study for all levels were developed and published, and the programs of music and speech in the schools were enlarged. He introduced vocational rehabilitation and started the distributive education program in Missouri.

He was president of the Missouri State Teachers Association, a member of the Board of Regents of the five State Teachers' Colleges, a member of the board of directors of William Woods College, Fulton; a member of National Educational Association Legislative Committee and was an active member of the Chief State School Officers Association. 

In 1943 Mr. King went to New York City to direct the newly formed American Textbook Publishers Institute and to become its first executive secretary. This was a trade association of school and college textbook and reference book publishers.

In 1958 Lloyd King accepted an assignment with the U.S. Office of Education to assist in the inauguration of the administration of the educational program under the National Defense Education Act in Washington, D.C. He served in this capacity for three years.

He retired in December, 1961, and he and Mrs. King moved to Palmyra, where for the past few years he has served as a consultant for educational publishers and has served as a guest speaker at meetings of educators and publishers around the country.

Mr. King, who was a veteran of World War I, has received a Citation for Distinguished Service to Education from the University of Missouri; the Professional Bookmen of America Citation, and is listed in "Who's Who in America" and "Who's Who in American Education."

He was a member of Phi Delta Kappa (honorary education fraternity), Professional Bookmen of America, a 50-year member of Masonic Lodge No. 18 A.F. and A.M. of Palmyra; the Order of Eastern Star, Palmyra Kiwanis Club, American Legion Post 174 of Palmyra, the Palmyra Public Library Board and was on the administrative Board of the Palmyra United Methodist Church.

On March 5, 1967, he was the honored guest at the dedication of a new school building in Palmyra which was named the Lloyd W. King Arts Building, and during the summer of 1969 he was president of the Palmyra Sesquicentennial Executive Committee.

He was the featured speaker during the summer of 1969 at the rededication of the Marion County Historical Marker by the Marion County Historical Society.

During his retirement years Mr. King remained interested and active in the functions of the community where he served on various civic, social and church committees.

MAUPIN, Lavetta
Source Unknown, August 1969


Shelbina, MO. - Mrs. Laveta K. Maupin, 67, of Moline, Ill., a Shelby County native, passed away Monday at 12:15 p.m. in a Moline Hospital. She had been ill the past 3 months.

Funeral services will be held Thursday at 9:30 a.m. from the Wheelan Funeral Home in Rock Island, Ill. Graveside services will be held at 4 p.m. at the IOOF Cemetery in Shelbina.

Mrs. Maupin was born in Shelby County Dec. 11, 1901, a daughter of Bert and Ethel Magee Wiggins. She attended Shelby County Schools and graduated from the Blessing Hospital School of Nursing at Quincy in 1926. On Feb 6, 1937 she was married to Bob Nat Maupin at Moline and has been a resident there since that time. Mrs. Maupin was a staff nurse at Moline Lutheran Hospital and previously at the Moline Public Hospital. She also did private nursing in the Moline area.

She was a member of the Eastern Star and the American Nurses Association. Her husband preceded her in death Nov. 14, 1955.

Survivors include a nephew, William B. Wiggins of Rock Island; 6 great-nieces and nephews.

She was also preceded in death by 2 brothers, Earl and John Wiggins.

(Note: Mrs. Maupin was the wife of Robert Maupin, a fellow classmate of my grandfather, Harold Dailey, at Shelbina High School; Bob was Captain of the 1918 SHS Football Team. Lisa Perry)


MOORE, Charles W.
Source/Date Unknown


Charles W Moore, 85, died at 1 a.m. Wednesday at his home in Hollister. {Nov 22 1961}

He is survived by his wife, Edna; a daughter, Mrs. August Johnson, Hot Springs, Ark.; three sons, Ernie Moore, Sparta, Lee and Glenn Moore, both of Forsyth; 14 grandchildren, eight great grandchildren, and a brother, Andy Moore, Klamath Falls, Ore.

Funeral services will be at 2 p.m. today {Nov 25} in the Whelchel Chapel with Drs. M Graham Cloark and Robert M. Good officiating. Burial will be in Ozark Memorial Cemetery at Branson.


Date/Source Unknown


Mrs. Nina Magruder Threlkeld, 70, died today at her home in Shelbina. She had been bedfast for nearly a year, the last time she was out of her house was last Christmas day which she spent with her son, Kenneth.

Nina Magruder, daughter of J.E. and Mary Alice Lewis Magruder, was born in the Greenwood community southeast of Shelbina, on October 22, 1899. She was married to Lloyd Threlkeld November 27, 1919 and just recently celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary, a date she was afraid she might not live to reach. Although bedfast she wanted a picture made of her and her husband on the anniversary and was held up smiling while the picture was taken.

She and Mr. Magruder {Threlkeld} had lived in Shelbina since 1947. 

Surviving are her husband, son Kenneth, and two grandchildren.

Funeral arrangement are pending at the Davis Funeral Home.

(Note: Mrs. Nina Magruder Threlkeld was a fellow senior classmate of my grandfather, Harold Dailey, and voted the most popular girl at Shelbina High School in 1918. Lisa Perry)

TODD, Nellie Mae
Source Unknown, Jan 1970


Mrs. Nellie May Todd, 70, of Shelbina, died Wednesday, January 7, 7:30 a.m. at her home in Shelbina following an extended illness. Mrs. Todd was born Sept. 6, 1899 in Ill. She was a daughter of David Sharidon and Ellen Wycliff Carter Estes. She attended rural schools in Illinois and the Kirksville State Teachers College. She attended the Baptist Church and was a member of the Shelbina Rebekah Lodge.

On November 22, 1949, she married Arthur J. (Jake) Todd, who died March 15, 1969. They spent their married life in Shelbina, with the exception of a few months spent in California.

She is survived by four sons from a former marriage, Virgil McDowell of Tomales, Calif., Estel G. McDowell of Baldwin Park, Calif., Lloyd McDowell of Glasgow, and George E. McDowell of Wilmington, Calif.; one brother, George Estes of St Louis, six step-children: Cecil Todd of Shelbina, Mrs. Russell (Pauline) Dinwiddie of Aledo, Ill., Harold Todd of Clarence, Loren of Sterling, Ill., Mrs. Arthur (Nove) Gosney of Milan, Ill., and Mrs. Joe (Nellie) Blackford of rural Shelbina; 17 grandchildren, one great grandchild, 30 step-grandchildren, and 19 step great grandchildren, and other relatives.

Funeral services were conducted Saturday at 2 p.m. at the Shelbina United Methodist Church with the Rev. William A. Knowles and the Rev. Edward Watkins officiating. Burial was in the Sunset Slope Addition of the Shelbina I.O.O.F Cemetery. Davis Funeral Home was in charge of the arrangements.